Winter 2017 -2018 Templestay Entry Dates:
December 16th, 30th
January 6th, 27th
February 10th, 24th
Things to remember while staying at a temple:
- As in many Korean temples, traditionally summer and winter in Musangsa is the time for the 3-month meditation retreat (kyol che). During this time, many temples are closed for visitors in order to avoid any disturbance for the kyolche participants. People sitting kyol che keep silence all throughout the day and spend more than 8 hours a day meditating. They become very sensitive and people coming from outside are encouraged to be very careful in order not to disturb their practice. For this reason we ask all Templestay guests to keep in mind the following rules:
- Please, arrive punctually at 14.00, don’t come earlier or later. If you are going to be late, please, inform the temple office in advance. If you come earlier, you will have to wait until 14.00.
- If you have to leave earlier than 4 pm on Sunday, please inform the Templestay Sunim during the orientation on your arrival day.
- Please do not go to the Meditation hall building (Seonbang).
- Avoid going to the Yosache building and especially, do not go to the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Yosache building (the living quarters). Please keep silence while in the Yosache building.
- Keep silence during meals together with kyol che participants.
- Keep silence during work period together with kyol he participants.
- If you have any questions or need assistance during the activities held together with the kyol che participants, please find the responsible Sunim and ask quietly. Please, do not ask the kyol che participants or talk to them.
- During chanting in the Buddha hall, find the place assigned to you. If you don’t know where to sit, please wait for the responsible Sunim to show you.
- Please be quiet while walking around the temple grounds. Do not talk in a loud voice near the Meditation hall and Yosache building, and don’t run or shout.
- Please wear the clothes provided by the temple.
- Do not use any electronic devices while around kyol che participants.