Things to remember while staying at a temple
As in many Korean temples, traditionally summer and winter in Musangsa is the time for the 3-month meditation retreat (kyolche). During this time, many temples are closed for visitors in order to avoid any disturbance for the kyolche participants. People sitting kyolche keep silence all throughout the day and spend more than 8 hours a day meditating. They become very sensitive and people coming from outside are encouraged to be very careful in order not to disturb their practice.
For this reason we ask all Templestay guests to keep in mind the following rules:
- Please, arrive punctually at 14.00, don’t come earlier or later. If you are going to be late, please, inform the temple office in advance.
- If you have to leave earlier than 4 pm on Sunday, please, inform the Temple stay Sunim during the orientation on the 1st day.
- Please do not go to the Meditation hall building (Seonbang)
- Avoid going to the Yosache building and especially, do not go to the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Yosache building (the living quarters). Please keep silence while in the Yosache building
- Keep silence during meals together with kyolche participants
- Keep silence during work period together with kyolche participants
- If you have any questions or need any assistance during the activities held together with the kyolche participants, please find the responsible Sunim and ask quietly. Please, do not ask the kyolche participants or talk to them
- During chanting in the Buddha hall, find the place assigned for you. If you don’t know where to sit, please wait for the responsible Sunim to show you.
- Please be quiet while walking around the temple grounds. Do not talk in a loud voice near the Meditation hall and Yosache building, and don’t run or shout.
- Please wear the clothes provided by the temple.
- Do not use any electronic devices while around kyolche participants.
- Please bring your own water bottle, walking shoes and rain gear.